4.22.2011

Dream High: Somewhat a Disapointment

Overall, Dream High was not as good as I'd expected it to be. Warning: unless you are a Kpop fanatic, I don't recommend this drama! After reading the other posts from other blogs and researching the ratings, I had high expectations. However, I was dissapointed by the end.

The beginning was somewhat sweet and sour. It was nice seeing the famous stars from Korea like Wooyoung, Taecyeon, IU, and Suzy, but in my opinion, the storyline was not very well written. Suzy played a poor student studying classical music, I'm assuming to become a professional opera singer, who was originally destined to study abroad in America and attend Juilliard. However, her father disappeared for a period of time and left Go Hye Mi with her ever-adorable little sister. She meets Jin Gyuk (Taecyeon) at a run-in when the loansharks are chasing her, and plays her prince in shining armor.

After a long series of events, Go Hye Mi, Song Sam Dong (a country bumpkin played by Bae Yong Joon,) Baek Hee (Ham Eun Jung,) Go Hye Mi's ex-best friend, Kim Pil Sook (IU) and Jason (Wooyoung) end up going to Kirin Art School, an academy for students aspiring to be stars.

Just like Playful Kiss, this drama was a blended mix of all different tastes. The one portion of this entire drama that I enjoyed the most was the naive relationship of Pil Sook and Jason. Just watching them gave me inspiration. Their relationship is the one part of the drama that is evident to be well thought out and developed. The actors also did a terrific job of channeling their characters and truly telling a unique story of sacrifice and love. Bravo, IU and Wooyoung!

The ending/finale of Dream High wasn't as I'd expected, but then again neither was the entire drama. From my point of view, I don't think that Sam Dong should've ended up with Hye Mi. Although the drama was an utter dissapointment, I do have to admit that the way they demonstrated how competition can bring out the worst in people and make an innocent person turn into a monster deserved a standing ovation. According to news sites, they are making a Dream High 2 with a completely different cast, but now I know not to raise my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment